• at 07/20/2017, 22:48pm

webmaster

Male, 75yo

Philadelphia, USA

• Threads
  • Follows
  • Followers

at 07/20/2017, 22:48pm

I love the progress and steady updates!! 

Some things I really love and appreciate are:
  • signup process was great, i like the ability to activate
  • the ubsubscribe icon on forums is great
  • unable to like my own post
  • useage of the double right arrow »
  • signature link works with HTML
  • editor has good shortcuts
  • clicking activity tab on user profile is awesome, i like that...
  • when a thread is posted, you made it very pleasing to see recent replies and stuff

Some things I would tweak could include:
  • disable all social media stuff, specifically the trackers and whatnot
    • disable post "like" option on global admin setting
  • enable autosave in the editor
    • markdown support would be nice too
    • enable option to preview gifs in the editor / forum thread pages
  • make it so i'm unable to vote / like my own posts... maybe even report my own posts - more conditional logic stuff perhaps.
  • disable fontawesome reliance? do i need to use the icons, i kinda like em but wouldn't use them
    • make it so i can disable icons on entire forum perhaps in admin via options
  • make it so when I click forum stats "Members" I can view directory of them all?
  • what is difference between Photos select option and attachments? make em both work?
  • conditional logic post new thread to disappear on specific page
    • when I navigate to empty forum category, it's not easy to post a thread, add the "Post New Thread" to the body somewhere
    • same thing goes for profile social media links, if I do not add any, remove the icons from modal popup
  • make quick forum jump sidebar link even faster -- when I click option remove the extra click / step to "Go There." - do search for select onchange="window.open(this.options.value,'_blank')" value="GO"
    • make it so i can embed code on forum and doesn't break site
  • Users that I follow is weird, when I goto follow you, I end up following myself
  • make signup form birthday go back further than 1942+
  • make default CTRL + K open links in new blank window (very last option) - save user clicks and make site better
  • permalink structure - make it pretty
  • your demo makes it impossible navigate and read forums without register / login... i like this alot but at the same time, i would want forum threads to be crawlable and readable by public... but maybe not?
  • sidebar latest threads URL is broken - when I hover forum name I see broken code /
  • sidebar gravatar icon above "edit profile" doesn't do anything, perhaps make it link to member user page or something else
  • user modal, when i click myself, i see stats on lower left corner, make it so i can click on them and view everything (Posts, Threads, Followers, ETC)
  • do forums log multiple "reason why you are editing" thread occurences?
I hope you don't take any of this as negative feedback, I just really want you to succeed and make the best possible forum module you can make!

GLHF!

Download Attachment: e044cd15fa5420cdfedc3544133d8ec1.gif

Edited by: webmaster at 07/20/2017, 22:53pm, Reason: when i try to embed html code, something broken, gonna try to fix now...

ChrisTERiS

Male, 61yo

Thessaloniki, Greece

• Administrator
  • Threads
  • Follows
  • Followers

at 07/21/2017, 11:39am

First, let me start from the end:
I hope you don't take any of this as negative feedback, I just really want you to succeed and make the best possible forum module you can make!
I never had problems to read even real negative feedback. On the same way, I'll appreciate if you (talking in general), will accepts some "No", among the most "Yes".

Secondary, and before start quoting your requests, I want to remind you that this is an AddOn and not a stand-alone script. What's the difference? The most important is how wide is the market. eg Coding a PHP Forum, I've 1 million potential clients. Coding an AddOn, the potential market shrinks even to 1%.

So, let's start with your comments/requests:

disable all social media stuff, specifically the trackers and whatnot
Can you give me an example? Can't get your meaning.

disable post "like" option on global admin setting 
This can be done

enable autosave in the editor
markdown support would be nice too
enable option to preview gifs in the editor / forum thread pages 
In the next version Editor settings will be in a separate file so anybody can change it regarding his needs. Can add or remove things easily.

make it so i'm unable to vote / like my own posts...
maybe even report my own posts - more conditional logic stuff perhaps.
They're already there. Just forgot to activate it. For testing purposes and to be able to check if these functions are working, I had disabled it.

disable fontawesome reliance? do i need to use the icons, i kinda like em but wouldn't use them
make it so i can disable icons on entire forum perhaps in admin via options
Very difficult. Need to modify all templates.

make it so when I click forum stats "Members" I can view directory of them all?
Memberlist should be an AddOn to whmcsBB. A few only should want to show their clients (don't forget that Member=Client) to competitors.

what is difference between Photos select option and attachments? make em both work?
I've my own jQuery plugn for Uploading a Mix of Photos/Files but, I prefer this one. Is more easy to use. In my own plugin you must add Title/Description for each upload, very complicated for Forum AddOn. In my PHP Forum I'm using it, but it's a full forum.

conditional logic post new thread to disappear on specific page
Already exists. If you don't have permission to post in a category, the link Post New Thread is disabled.

when I navigate to empty forum category, it's not easy to post a thread, add the "Post New Thread" to the body somewhere
same thing goes for profile social media links,
Can be done in the next version.

make quick forum jump sidebar link even faster. When I click option remove the extra click / step to Go There.
I had it working this way but I removed it. Have you tried to use such type of selection using a smartphone? Almost impossible. Trying to scroll down to list, acciddently you'll click a link.

Users that I follow is weird, when I goto follow you, I end up following myself
I'll check it.

make signup form birthday go back further than 1942
Don't like to have a very long list. Actually I had in mind to have it max 65yo. But is just a number change in the code. You can easily change it. eg now is: min: 18, max:75. By changing 75 to 85 the list will shows earlier years.

make default CTRL + K open links in new blank window
Never used this key compination in my life. When I want to open in new window, I just right click and choose it.

permalink structure - make it pretty
Still needs some work, but this request is almost incredible if you think that this a WHMCS addon and the main product does not even has SEO urls (except 1-2).

your demo makes it impossible navigate and read forums without register
You can read as visitor unless if you've set Guest permissions to not be able to read. Yesterday I was checking my forums and I was playing a bit with permissions. If you still can't read a forum please let me know. If I remember well, have set all to be public.

sidebar latest threads URL is broken
Have noticed it this morning and fixed it before reading your post, but thank you for your report.

sidebar gravatar icon above
That's true. Is there only for cosmetic reasons. Let's say to remind you that you don't have an avatar.

user modal, when i click myself, i see stats on lower left corner, make it so i can click on them and view everything (Posts, Threads, Followers, ETC)
Maybe in a future update but for sure not on the next.

do forums log multiple "reason why you are editing" thread occurences?
Even the current usage is much more enought for addon. Actually haven't seen any big forum (including vB, xF, IPS) to show more than one instance for editing reason.

Thank you for your time to post this feedback. Really appreicated.
Chris

Edited by: ChrisTERiS at 07/21/2017, 11:52am

ChrisTERiS

Male, 61yo

Thessaloniki, Greece

• Administrator
  • Threads
  • Follows
  • Followers

at 07/22/2017, 12:04pm

webmaster

Male, 75yo

Philadelphia, USA

• Threads
  • Follows
  • Followers

at 07/28/2017, 22:09pm

at 07/20/2017, 08:27am ChrisTERiS
First, let me start from the end:
I never had problems to read even real negative feedback. On the same way, I'll appreciate if you (talking in general), will accepts some "No", among the most "Yes".

Secondary, and before start quoting your requests, I want to remind you that this is an AddOn and not a stand-alone script. What's the difference? The most important is how wide is the market. eg Coding a PHP Forum, I've 1 million potential clients. Coding an AddOn, the potential market shrinks even to 1%.

So, let's start with your comments/requests:

disable all social media stuff, specifically the trackers and whatnot
Can you give me an example? Can't get your meaning.

disable post "like" option on global admin setting 
This can be done

enable autosave in the editor
markdown support would be nice too
enable option to preview gifs in the editor / forum thread pages 
In the next version Editor settings will be in a separate file so anybody can change it regarding his needs. Can add or remove things easily.

make it so i'm unable to vote / like my own posts...
maybe even report my own posts - more conditional logic stuff perhaps.
They're already there. Just forgot to activate it. For testing purposes and to be able to check if these functions are working, I had disabled it.

disable fontawesome reliance? do i need to use the icons, i kinda like em but wouldn't use them
make it so i can disable icons on entire forum perhaps in admin via options
Very difficult. Need to modify all templates.

make it so when I click forum stats "Members" I can view directory of them all?
Memberlist should be an AddOn to whmcsBB. A few only should want to show their clients (don't forget that Member=Client) to competitors.

what is difference between Photos select option and attachments? make em both work?
I've my own jQuery plugn for Uploading a Mix of Photos/Files but, I prefer this one. Is more easy to use. In my own plugin you must add Title/Description for each upload, very complicated for Forum AddOn. In my PHP Forum I'm using it, but it's a full forum.

conditional logic post new thread to disappear on specific page
Already exists. If you don't have permission to post in a category, the link Post New Thread is disabled.

when I navigate to empty forum category, it's not easy to post a thread, add the "Post New Thread" to the body somewhere
same thing goes for profile social media links,
Can be done in the next version.

make quick forum jump sidebar link even faster. When I click option remove the extra click / step to Go There.
I had it working this way but I removed it. Have you tried to use such type of selection using a smartphone? Almost impossible. Trying to scroll down to list, acciddently you'll click a link.

Users that I follow is weird, when I goto follow you, I end up following myself
I'll check it.

make signup form birthday go back further than 1942
Don't like to have a very long list. Actually I had in mind to have it max 65yo. But is just a number change in the code. You can easily change it. eg now is: min: 18, max:75. By changing 75 to 85 the list will shows earlier years.

make default CTRL + K open links in new blank window
Never used this key compination in my life. When I want to open in new window, I just right click and choose it.

permalink structure - make it pretty
Still needs some work, but this request is almost incredible if you think that this a WHMCS addon and the main product does not even has SEO urls (except 1-2).

your demo makes it impossible navigate and read forums without register
You can read as visitor unless if you've set Guest permissions to not be able to read. Yesterday I was checking my forums and I was playing a bit with permissions. If you still can't read a forum please let me know. If I remember well, have set all to be public.

sidebar latest threads URL is broken
Have noticed it this morning and fixed it before reading your post, but thank you for your report.

sidebar gravatar icon above
That's true. Is there only for cosmetic reasons. Let's say to remind you that you don't have an avatar.

user modal, when i click myself, i see stats on lower left corner, make it so i can click on them and view everything (Posts, Threads, Followers, ETC)
Maybe in a future update but for sure not on the next.

do forums log multiple "reason why you are editing" thread occurences?
Even the current usage is much more enought for addon. Actually haven't seen any big forum (including vB, xF, IPS) to show more than one instance for editing reason.

Thank you for your time to post this feedback. Really appreicated.
Chris
Thanks for taking the time to answer all questions / concerns.

I thought for some reason there was social media stuff like facebook widget, twitter share buttons, pinterest save stuff... trackers like that. Please excuse me, that is not the case.

Is it easy to customize the upload file module? perhaps, add a drag drop widget area for example.